When we refer to “your information” we are referring to your personal information, in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles as defined under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
In this policy “we” and “us” refers to Academy of Workplace Learning and “you” refers to any person about whom we collect personal information.
The kinds of information we collect and hold
Depending on the particular circumstances, we may collect and hold a range of different information about you. This can include your name, date of birth, contact details (including address, email address, phone number or mobile telephone number), occupation, drivers licence number.
This is not an exhaustive list. For example we may also need to collect additional information from you which is considered sensitive information (for example, information about whether you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander; information which may disclose your racial or ethnic origin (such as your proficiency in languages other than English); information about your health or a disability where this is relevant to accommodating your needs; and information that may disclose your membership of a professional or industry association (such as when assessing your eligibility for course credit or exemption).
You might also need to provide personal information about other individuals to us (e.g. your authorised representatives, If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us and to advise them about this statement.
Collection of your personal information may be required by law for the purpose of reporting to Commonwealth, State and Territory government agencies for planning, evaluative, administrative and funding purposes.
Collection of your personal information may also be required to assess your entitlement to, and administer any entitlement to, financial assistance under Commonwealth programs for supporting students such as FEE-HELP and VET FEE-HELP.
How we collect information
- We may collect your information in a number of ways, including:
- Directly from you (such as where you provide information to us when you complete a training application form, training contract or contact us with a query.
- From third parties such as business partners, or your representatives
- From publicly available sources of information
- When legally authorised or required to do so
- From the third parties we list in the section of this statement with the heading “When we disclose your information”.
How we hold your information
- We may store your information in hard copy or electronic format, in storage facilities that we own and operate ourselves, or are owned and operated by our services providers, we take all reasonable steps to maintain the security of your information and to protect it from unauthorised disclosures.
- Your information may be held by us after you have ceased to be a student or client to satisfy legal or regulatory record-keeping obligations or, for example, to enable us to confirm or verify your participation in or completion of a course or program.
How we use your information
We may use your information for a range of different purposes including:
- To provide the products, services or information you have requested from us, including for the purposes of enrolling you, assessing your progress, tracking your attendance, issuing you with your results, and providing certificates of completion and testamurs, for your course(s) and program(s) of study. We may also use and disclose your information to third parties where they have been retained by us to assist us with functions such as the recruitment of students, promoting or recognising Academy of Workplace Learning qualifications, or undertaking auditing or compliance programs for us.
- To verify to third parties who make enquiries of us as to whether individuals have completed a course or program of study (for example, where a potential employer is verifying a qualification or claimed qualification or you are enrolling in another school or educational institution or your course or program of study is being supported by your employer or undertaken in conjunction with your current employment).
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations, including disclosure and reporting to Commonwealth, State and Territory government agencies for planning, evaluative, administrative and funding purposes. This includes:
- disclosure and reporting to government agencies for the purpose of administering entitlements to financial assistance under Commonwealth and State government programs for supporting students such as FEE-
- HELP, VET FEE-HELP and State Government Training authorities;
- disclosure to government agencies with responsibility for administering and regulating education and training providers in Australia such as ASQA; and
- disclosure to government agencies with responsibility for administering immigration and student visa arrangements (including disclosure of suspected breaches of student visa conditions).
- To assist us to make our services and products more accessible and valuable to our students and clients.
- To keep your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) informed of your attendance, progress and general well-being, where applicable.
- To perform various administrative or management functions including administering billing and debt recovery; training of staff and contractors and managing their work performance and career progression; quality assurance and evaluation; maintenance and testing of information technology systems; obtaining advice from consultants and professional advisers; and management of legal liabilities and claims (including liaising with legal representatives and insurers).
How we use your information for direct marketing
- Academy of Workplace Learning will use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing, including keeping you informed of products and services and new developments we consider may be of interest to you.
- You may request that you not receive direct marketing communications at any time by contacting us directly as outlined in the section “How to Contact Us”.
- If we have collected personal information about you from third parties, we will only use that information for direct marketing purposes with your consent (unless an exception applies). If we use your personal information in this way, we will give you the opportunity in each direct marketing communication to request not to receive further direct marketing communications.
When we disclose your information
We may disclose your information to:
- To your authorised representatives or advisers or when you ask us to do so
- To law enforcement and national security agencies and other government and regulatory authorities as required and authorised by law.
How to access or correct your personal information or make a privacy complaint
If you wish to access any of your personal information that we hold or would like to correct any errors in that information, please contact us using the contact details set out in the “How to contact us” section of this statement, so that we can consider and respond to your request. We may apply an administration charge for providing access to your personal information in response to a request.
You may also use these contact details to notify is of any privacy complaint you have against us, including if you think we have failed to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) or any binding APP code that has been register under the Privacy Act. We are committed to acknowledging your complaint in a prompt manner and will give you an estimated timeframe for when we will respond to your complaint. While we hope that we will be able to resolve any complaints you may have without needing to involve third parties, you may also lodge a complaint with the relevant regulator such as Australian Information Commissioner or ASQA.
About this statement
This statement has been issued by Academy of Workplace Learning Pty Ltd, effective as at 12 March, 2014. From time to time, we may need to change this statement. If we do so, we will post the updated version on our website (www.academyowl.com.au) and it will apply to all of your information held by us at the time.
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to this statement or our management of your information, please let us know by contacting us on 1300 189 417 or writing to us at Academy of Workplace Learning Pty Ltd PO Box 56, Bardwell Park, NSW 2207.